FREEHOLD – An Asbury Park man was found guilty of the 2013 murder of an Ocean County man, announced Monmouth County Prosecutor Christopher J. Gramiccioni.
Jahmir K. Bouie, 21, of Atlantic Avenue in Asbury Park, was found guilty Wednesday of one count each of second degree Robbery, first degree Felony Murder, and first degree Murder for the murder of 36 year-old Thomas Sudano, Jr.

Bouie is scheduled for sentencing on Dec. 2, 2016, before Monmouth County Superior Court Judge Ronald L. Reisner. His co-defendant, Spencer Young, was sentenced on September 9, 2016, to a term of 50 years in a New Jersey state prison, subject to the provision of the “No Early Release Act” (NERA), requiring him to serve at least 85% of the sentence before he is eligible for parole.
The charges stem from a July 27, 2013 incident. Early that morning, around 12:26 a.m., officers with the Asbury Park Police Department were dispatched to the area of 1100 Atlantic Avenue for a report of an unconscious male lying in the street. Upon arrival, police found the man in cardiac arrest and exhibiting no neurological responses. The victim was identified as Sudano, of Brick Township.

During the trial, it was learned that Sudano took a taxi from Brick to Asbury Park to meet with Bouie shortly before midnight in order to purchase illegal drugs. Bouie and co-defendant Spencer Young met with Sudano at the McDonald’s on Route 35 in Neptune Township, before the two men lured Sudano into a housing complex in Asbury Park with the intentions of robbing him.

At trial, a witness testified he observed both Bouie and Young with the victim around midnight. The witness testified that, without provocation or warning, Bouie and Young assaulted Sudano, punching, stomping and kicking him. Sudano attempted to flee from his attackers but fell to the ground unconscious. As Sudano lay motionless, Bouie and Young continued their assault, kicking and punching Sudano about his head and body. They stole Sudano’s cellular phone and money before fleeing the area and leaving Sudano lying unconscious in the street.

Young was found in possession of Sudano’s cellphone in Asbury Park three days after the assault. Cellular telephone records revealed the phone was in constant use by Young from 12:26 a.m. on July 27, 2013 until he was taken into custody by police on July 30, 2013.

The investigation also revealed that Bouie was operating his girlfriend’s vehicle to transport the victim to the scene of the crime and using her cellular telephone to make arrangements with the victim prior to his murder. Bouie was taken into custody on July 31, 2013.

Sudano died on July 29, 2013, at Jersey Shore University Medical Center, Neptune Township. The Medical Examiner’s Office determined his death was caused by blunt force trauma to the head and neck and the manner of death was ruled a homicide.

The case was prosecuted by Monmouth County Assistant Prosecutors Hoda Soliman and Lawrence Nelson. Bouie was represented by Robert J. Konzelmann, Esq. of Howell.

# # #