Richard Busby, 61, formerly of Newark, was sentenced to 60 years in prison for his role in a July 31, 2011 home invasion robbery and arson in Freehold, announced Prosecutor Christopher J. Gramiccioni.

The Honorable Paul Escandon, J.S.C. sentenced Busby, who must serve a minimum of 30 years before he is eligible for parole. Among the factors noted by the Judge in arriving at this sentence, was Busby’s extensive prior criminal history.  Beginning with a conviction for Armed Robbery and related offenses in 1978, Busby amassed eleven prior felony convictions.

Busby was found guilty, following a jury trial in September, of Felony Murder, Robbery and Attempted Murder.

In the early morning hours of July 31, 2011, Defendant Richard Busby and his accomplice Jeffery Mayhue broke into the Jackson Mills Road home shared by Michael Conway and Cheri Plamondon.  Mr. Conway and Ms. Plamondon were held at gunpoint, and bound with zip-ties while the intruders searched their home for money, marijuana and other items of value.   During the robbery, Mr. Conway broke free and struggled with the intruders.  Mr. Conway was shot and killed.  The intruders then set fire to the residence and fled.  Ms. Plamondon was able to free herself and escape the burning building.

The case was a joint investigation including detectives from the Monmouth County Prosecutors Office and members of the Freehold Township Police Department.  That investigation led to the arrests of Jeffery Mayhue and Richard Busby.

Mayhue previously pled guilty to charges of Armed Robbery and Felony Murder, crimes of the first degree.  On September 7, 2016, Mayhue was sentenced to 30 years in prison and must serve 30 years before being eligible for parole.

Subsequent to Mayhue’s plea, charges were signed against additional accomplices:  Ellis Goodson, 41, of Neptune and Ranu Sinha, 39, of Freehold.  In connection with this case, Goodson and Sinha each pled guilty to a charge of Armed Robbery, in the first degree.

Goodson and Sinha also pled guilty to an additional charge of Armed Robbery in the first degree.  These additional charges arose out of a separate home invasion robbery in 2011.  These offenses occurred on May 14, 2011 at a residence on Brickyard Road in Howell.  Mayhue entered the residence with a handgun, bound the occupants and stole a large sum of money.  Goodson and Sinha were charged and subsequently pled guilty to being accomplices to the planning of that robbery. Busby was not charged in connection with the May 14, 2011 incident.  The Howell Police Department assisted the Prosecutors Office in connection with this investigation.

In separate proceedings, held today, Goodson and Sinha were also sentenced.  Ellis Goodson was sentenced to 13.5 years in prison by the Honorable Joseph Oxley, J.S.C. in Freehold.  His sentence is subject to the No Early Release Act requiring him to serve 85% of his sentence before being eligible for parole and a mandatory period of parole supervision after release.  Ranu Sinha was sentenced to 10 years in prison by the Honorable Paul Escandon, J.S.C.  Her sentence is likewise subject to the No Early Release Act, requiring her to serve 85% of her sentence before being eligible for parole and a mandatory period of parole supervision after release.


The case was prosecuted by Assistant Prosecutors Sean J. Brennan and Lawrence Nelsen.

Busby was represented by John Perrone, Esq.  Goodson was represented by Patrice Bearden, Esq.  Sinha was represented by Edward Bertucio, Esq.

Prosecutor Gramiccioni wishes to credit the resolution of these cases to the strength of the victims and the strong collaboration between the Prosecutor’s Office and the Freehold Township, Howell and Neptune Township Police Departments.


#  #  #